Thoughts on Allen so far
dvaoa
2019-10-21 12:16:57 UTC
He's a weird dude...how can someone so inherently inaccurate ever be considered a franchise QB...yet, all his 4th quarter comebacks are not typical of someone who is an outright bust.

Anyway, this paragraph from nfl.com pretty much sums him up.

1. Sixty minutes of Josh Allen playing football is an adventure. With a rarely accurate rocket for an arm that could dial up an in-stride receiver as easily as an unsuspecting fan in the first row, Allen struggled early before leading a full-speed comeback that resulted in the Bills avoiding an embarrassing loss with a 31-21 victory over the winless Dolphins on Sunday. Buffalo, off to a 5-1 opening for the first time since 2008, scored on each of its first three drives, but they were all Stephen Hauschka field goals. Often missing by a mile with touchless throws, Allen continued to play the only way he seemingly knows how: rearing back and throwing his hardest, running with no fear and ultimately playing with reckless abandon. Two touchdowns, a two-point rush, 202 yards passing and a 111.4 QB rating stood as Allen's final tally. But it's the fearless way in which Allen plays that makes every outing an adventure and has made him a leader of a promising Buffalo team.

Am I sold on him? Not without an accurate arm. But he does have some intangibles, which is what I liked about him in the first place. He is benefiting from an iteration of an NFL with a LOT of historically bad teams.

-d
The old geezer
2019-10-27 21:07:39 UTC
Post by dvaoa
[...]
He really "bit the bag" in today's game!!!!

TOG
dvaoa
2019-11-03 23:51:16 UTC
Post by The old geezer
Post by dvaoa
[...]
What did he get, 160 yds passing?? After 1-1/2 years starting, and this against a putrid team, and at home?

By the end of next season, he will be officially labeled as a bust. It gives me no pleasure to say this. That entire class of 2018 QB's looks completely lost out there.

-d
The old geezer
2019-11-04 11:20:03 UTC
Post by dvaoa
Post by The old geezer
He really "bit the bag" in today's game!!!!
TOG
What did he get, 160 yds passing?? After 1-1/2 years starting, and this against a putrid team, and at home?
By the end of next season, he will be officially labeled as a bust. It gives me no pleasure to say this. That entire class of 2018 QB's looks completely lost out there.
-d
And Ryan Fitzpatrick will be back at the helm!!!

TOG
The old geezer
2020-01-13 11:31:00 UTC
Post by dvaoa
What did he get, 160 yds passing?? After 1-1/2 years starting, and this against a putrid team, and at home?
By the end of next season, he will be officially labeled as a bust.
Do you still think this? I'm beginning to suspect that you may be correct!

TOG

Steve Douglas
2019-11-17 15:02:13 UTC
"dvaoa" <***@altavista.com> wrote in message news:2b1b762b-50bc-4e9d-a471-***@googlegroups.com...
[...]

----------------------

Today's game against the fish should be telling. I've been mentally trying
to compare him with all of the QB's the Bills have had over the past 20
years (!) to figure out where he ranks amongst them. Those QB's are: Doug
Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, Kelly
Holcomb, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm, EJ Manuel, Thad
Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor, Matt Cassel, Nathan Peterman,
Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley..

Of those 18 (!) QB's some were backups forced into a starting role due to
injury and/or cups of coffee (Van Pelt, Holcomb, Brohm, Lewis, Tuel, Cassel,
Barkley). Others were veterans at the end of their career (Orton, Anderson).
Flutie and Bledsoe were veterans with some years left. So the assorted "QB's
of the future" were Johnson, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel, Taylor,
Peterman.

So of those QB's of the future, which ones is Allen better than? Peterman is
a safe bet. And I would say he is not as good as Fitzpatrick. The others?
The jury is out but unless Allen starts trending up in his play, he will end
up behind Taylor and Manuel, and clumped in with Johnson, Losman and
Edwards.

Allen has extremely good running ability and he seems to be fairly durable.
He has a cannon for an arm but is woefully inaccurate on long balls. And he
occasionally makes brain-dead decisions that lead to turnovers.

Today should be interesting.

Steve
dvaoa
2019-11-17 18:05:48 UTC
Post by dvaoa
[...]
Steve - the only favorable outcome for Allen today is a win, and that would be a neutral...I mean, if you can't even beat the Dolphins this season, what does that say? More telling will be if he once again fails to throw for a TD and rack up at least 250 yds.

-d