Flutie implicates Patriots in more cheating
MBD
2008-02-07 17:01:09 UTC
Apparently our old friend Doug Flutie implicated the Patriots in using an
additional frequency to send signals to Tom Brady after the normal
transmitter should have cut-off. Dan LeBatard first brought this to
attention. As per Flutie, he picked-up the wrong helmet and heard a voice
telling Brady what was coming. When he asked about it, the team told him
to drop it.

I've heard about this but had no proof. And Charlie Casserly mentioned
earlier this year how a defensive player last year was caught being mic'd.
Now there seems to be some proof. And would you doubt that the Patriots
would do this?

Amazing how far and fast the Patriots have fallen. At this point it might
not take *real* evidence to make most people believe they cheated all
through their SB runs. Although I hear that the evidence *is* coming.

But everyone does it, right?

MBD
d***@altavista.com
2008-02-07 18:04:47 UTC
Post by MBD
[...]
I've always wondered, who monitors wireless systems during a game to
make sure they go on and are turned off when they're supposed to? Do
officials check every helmet to make sure only the QB's has a
speaker? I'm guessing not.
MBD
2008-02-07 18:12:51 UTC
Post by d***@altavista.com
Post by MBD
[...]
It's probably the same person who's supposed to make sure no one is
videotaping the opponent, much less their final walk-through.

MBD
d***@altavista.com
2008-02-07 18:46:04 UTC
Post by MBD
Post by d***@altavista.com
Post by MBD
[...]
I'm serious, is there no league official monitoring these
transmissions at each game to make sure teams don't communicate
without limits?
j***@webtv.net
2008-02-07 20:06:15 UTC
dvaoa wrote, "Do the officials check every helmet...?"

This year they put that green (yellow?) dot on the back of the helmet
that's wired to mark it. Whether they check them, don't know, but I
guess they were aware of the possibility (or probability) that other
helmets were wired in the past that should not have been.
John Kasupski
2008-02-09 08:55:37 UTC
Post by d***@altavista.com
I've always wondered, who monitors wireless systems during a game to
make sure they go on and are turned off when they're supposed to? Do
officials check every helmet to make sure only the QB's has a
speaker? I'm guessing not.
That would be up to the Game Day Frequency Coordinators, better known
as the GDCs. There was a nice article in the November issue of QST
magazine about the GDCs. At any typical NFL game, these guys are
responsible for coordinating more than 300 radio frequencies for
broadcast, referees, coaches and quarterbacks, as well as parking and
security frequencies, and more. basically, they coordinate anything
wireless that operates at an NFL game - and of course at a Super Bowl
the volume of radio traffic, and frequencies they coordinate,
increases exponentially.

Unfortunately, that article isn't available online, but this one is:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/012508-nfl-radio-cops.html?page=1

That's a four-page article with links to the subsequent pages. If you
read all of it, you'll see that the Paitriots have been guilty of
bending the rules regarding game-day allocation of radio frequencies
in the past. They got caught by the GDCs, but it was deemed an
"accidental" violation at the time. Now, of course, we know better,
but this happened before everybody learned of the Cheatriots' total
disregard for such minor inconveniences as rules, ethical
considerations, and sportsmanship.

JK
Bender
2008-02-09 15:00:59 UTC
Post by John Kasupski
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/012508-nfl-radio-cops.html?page=1
That's a four-page article with links to the subsequent pages. If you
read all of it, you'll see that the Paitriots have been guilty of
bending the rules regarding game-day allocation of radio frequencies
in the past. They got caught by the GDCs, but it was deemed an
"accidental" violation at the time. Now, of course, we know better,
but this happened before everybody learned of the Cheatriots' total
disregard for such minor inconveniences as rules, ethical
considerations, and sportsmanship.
Is not enough being made of all this? I was skeptical at first but if
even some of what is being implicated is true I would think there is a
great possibility that the Patriots might be stripped of their titles.

<A big black on on the NFL>
Bender
2008-02-09 15:10:01 UTC
Post by Bender
<A big black on on the NFL>
LOL. That should read "black eye" on the NFL.

<sorry>
John Kasupski
2008-02-09 21:50:40 UTC
j***@webtv.net
2008-02-07 20:01:29 UTC
MBD wrote, "Although I hear the evidence "is" coming."

While we're all loathe to have the government interfere with things,
this is going to be a case they will likely have to. People are going
to have to be under oath and face some penalties to get the truth out.
It does not seem that the NFL has gone into any deep investigation on
the matter. It worked out well for motivating baseball to do something
about illegal substance use, and it may do the trick here as well.
bo
not that i'm doubting you, but do you have a link to this story?
MBD
2008-02-07 21:49:04 UTC
Post by bo
Post by MBD
[...]
http://www.realcities.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/q
a_forum.html?forumId=3393&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=12

MBD
Geoff
2008-02-08 04:37:14 UTC
Post by MBD
Post by bo
Post by MBD
[...]
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have anything even remotely more
credible than the ramblings in a Q&A by a U of Miami grad published in a
rival city's rag?
--
Geoff O'Furman
Head Coach, Varsity Hockey
AA #22??
MBD
2008-02-08 20:25:00 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by MBD
Post by Geoff
Post by MBD
ard/q
a_forum.html?forumId=3393&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=12
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have anything even remotely more
credible than the ramblings in a Q&A by a U of Miami grad published in
a rival city's rag?
Nope. It is what it is.

MBD
s***@netscape.net
2008-02-08 20:40:42 UTC
Post by MBD
Post by Geoff
Post by MBD
Post by Geoff
Post by MBD
ard/q
a_forum.html?forumId=3393&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=12
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have anything even remotely more
credible than the ramblings in a Q&A by a U of Miami grad published in
a rival city's rag?
Nope.  It is what it is.
It is what it is - nonsense.

"i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got
there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady
what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show
about it but he hangs up on my producer"
MBD
2008-02-08 22:36:33 UTC
Post by s***@netscape.net
Post by MBD
Post by Geoff
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have anything even remotely
more credible than the ramblings in a Q&A by a U of Miami grad
published in a rival city's rag?
Nope.  It is what it is.
It is what it is - nonsense.
"i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got
there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady
what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show
about it but he hangs up on my producer"
I heard about this about a month ago, from someone else who I assume is the
1st hand person, who got it from Flutie. I just can't find the link.

MBD
John Kasupski
2008-02-09 09:13:25 UTC
Post by MBD
Post by s***@netscape.net
Post by MBD
Post by Geoff
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have anything even remotely
more credible than the ramblings in a Q&A by a U of Miami grad
published in a rival city's rag?
Nope.  It is what it is.
It is what it is - nonsense.
"i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got
there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady
what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show
about it but he hangs up on my producer"
I heard about this about a month ago, from someone else who I assume is the
1st hand person, who got it from Flutie. I just can't find the link.
ESPN reported this too. As I recall, the story was that when Flutie
put a helmet on, he heard a voice telling Brady what was coming, when
he asked about it, he was told by the team to drop it.

JK
MBD
2008-02-09 14:56:36 UTC
Post by John Kasupski
Post by MBD
Post by s***@netscape.net
Post by MBD
Post by Geoff
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have anything even remotely
more credible than the ramblings in a Q&A by a U of Miami grad
published in a rival city's rag?
Nope.  It is what it is.
It is what it is - nonsense.
"i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got
there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady
what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show
about it but he hangs up on my producer"
I heard about this about a month ago, from someone else who I assume
is the 1st hand person, who got it from Flutie. I just can't find
the link.
ESPN reported this too. As I recall, the story was that when Flutie
put a helmet on, he heard a voice telling Brady what was coming, when
he asked about it, he was told by the team to drop it.
Yep, that was the story. And earlier this year, after the Pats were caught
videotaping, Charlie Casserly said (besides their getting caught in 2006
for doing it) that there was a team that was caught mic'ing a defensive
player. Put 2 and 2 together.

MBD